Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The Night Grabbers

 The Night Grabbers

By Cole Herrold

Original Sketch I did after the incident in late 2017

Now, this case, I must stress, is a bit of a testimonial. This is an incident that occurred to me in the summer of 2017, and it has been with me for a while. For those who don't know, I, aside from writing as complete as possible articles on old cases, do fieldwork in investigating claims and areas said to be home to cryptids, aliens, and ghosts. Over the course of my time investigating such cases, I’ve had several strange occurrences. While following up a Bigfoot encounter in Bald Eagle State Park, I heard a strange set of bipedal footprints that stopped when I looked in the direction of the noise and started when I looked away. I've, while investigating haunted locations, recorded several possible EVPs and had strange sensations when encountering allegedly haunted objects. Yet of all the encounters over the years that I've experienced, this is perhaps the most unsettling. This encounter is one that I had not talked about openly for a long time simply because one of believability and two because it honestly bothers me. I, however, recently opened up and talked about it openly for the first time, and upon talking about the experience, I felt that I had to have some sort of written account of the incident.

Most people know about the beginning of this incident, but the follow-up is something that I have kept private even to my family. I was a delivery driver at the time of this, and I was driving down Snydertown Road on the outskirts of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. I have a tendency as I drive to look out into the woods and fields when I drive because I love nature, and I always hope to see an animal like a turkey or fox. As I was doing this, I looked to my left, where there was a telephone line, and my attention was drawn to a strange object hovering above. The object was small; I would estimate something about the size of an ottoman. It was a pulsing object of white light. The best way to describe it was like a strobe, but there was some form behind it that was noticeable. My initial thought was maybe it was a down line or some sort of electrical discharge but being as this was still day, I could see the area clearly and noted that there were no downed lines. My next thought was maybe this was ball lightning, but from what I knew about ball lightning, it tended to form close to the ground, and none seemed to, at least to my knowledge, pulse-like the object I saw. I continued to drive because I was in the middle of a delivery, and while perplexed, I decided I'd continue with the delivery and id come back to check the area on my way back. The drive to the delivery and back to the location took about 5 minutes, and upon returning to the location, the object was gone. I slowed my car down and looked for any further evidence of the object but could find nothing, and while looking, I could see that the light would not have been reflected or come from some home or similar structure. Realizing that there was nothing more I could do at this given time, I returned to the store and went on working.

That night I woke up at around 2:00 in the morning and noted that my arm was stretched up above my body. I sleep on a futon, and I have woken up and found myself sitting and laying in all sorts of positions, but this time it was different. I lifted my head up and noticed that my arm was attached to something dark in color. As I stared at this, I looked up and noticed what was attached to my arm. There were three dark black figures. The figures were about 3-4ft tall, and they had heads the shape of peanuts and wiry thin bodies. There were no noticeable facial features as I stared at the beings. All three beings had their arms extended and had grabbed my arm at the exact same point. I could not move initially, and they too did not move, but eventually, as I got a full realization at just what I was seeing, the trio vanished. This was exceptionally odd because they seemed so physical in their form. They were not like shadow men or ghostly, but they seemed to simply disappear. As if they realized I was aware of them. I stared in utter disbelief and managed to put my arm down and, almost in an uncharacteristic response, proceeded to go straight back to sleep.

The following day I woke up having thought it was a dream, but upon looking down at my arm, I found a large black and blue mark in the area where the beings grabbed me. I was still reeling from what I had just experienced the day and night prior. I, as a researcher, felt completely unnerved. It's one thing to be interested in the unknown; it's something completely different when it happens to you. In Fortean research, there's an idea that if you open yourself up to the phenomena, it becomes aware of you, and this is a terrifying prospect. During this time frame, I did not pick up a book or watch a tv show on the paranormal for fear of a possible recurrence. As I thought hard about this incident, I began to wonder whether this was something psychological in origin. I personally am an avid believer in the plausibility of a lot of Fortean phenomena, and this branches over into general acceptance that this is a normal and real phenomenon. Yet the Keelian aspects that I alluded to I do not think are plausible. The universality that all phenomena are the same to me just seemed to be an easy out at best or a lack of critical thinking at worst, and that with the ideas I was treading on, it was very selfish as if I was putting myself into the center of this world. It's from this that I took a step back and attempted to think about it from a more skeptical and open view.

My first thought was that there was nothing clearly that could explain the object seen earlier that day, and so I do believe it is unexplained and fits the initial criteria of a UFO. I’ve gone to that location countless times, and I have never found a rational answer to the object. I’ve told the UFO account many times because it was so unique. The beings I've come to call the Night Grabbers, however, I have come to think we're probably an example of Sleep Paralysis. I’ve never had an incident of sleep paralysis before or after this account, but a lot of what I experienced that night was very similar to sleep paralysis. The fact that this occurred while lying in bed, waking up and seeing a strange figure, and that at first, I had no control of my limbs was very similar to what is normally described with sleep paralysis. Now the reason I think this occurred was because of my initial UFO sighting; it would be easy to say that this was a failed abduction attempt or something similar but its also possible that my mind created this scenario in a dreamlike state because of the fact that the UFO was so prevalent in my thoughts that day.

Now, of course, to give the devil his due, I will say that there is the possibility that what I experienced was something Fortean there are a lot of similarities to what I experienced and to what others have over the years, and it does not only fit the traditional extraterrestrial encounters but also a phenomenon that is known as bedtime visitors these entities are also often associated with sleep paralysis even though the entities I possibly encountered do not match the shadow man, Hatman, grinning men that are frequently reported but countless other types are also said to occur and are known as other bedtime visitors. The same goes for faeries, as faerie abduction is something that has been reported from time to time, and in many ways, how the creatures behaved and grabbed seemed more unskilled than what one would think of something that's used to interacting or possibly taking humans. Even though I feel what I experienced was not something unknown, and in a way, this comforts me, I also have to accept the possibility that what I experienced could very well have been something of this caliber.

So this is the end of my account. I have no clear idea of what happened that day. I'm sure what I experienced in regard to the Night Grabbers was simply an example of sleep paralysis, but as for the UFO, that was something else. I saw it during the day; it was a pulsing orb; it seemed to have some sort of physical form behind the pulsing that I could tell was there but could not exactly make out what it was made of. The relation between the two clearly is anyone's guess, and its something I deal with every day as I often wake up in the middle of the night expecting to see these beings again if they were real, but they never returned, which at times is even eerier as it makes me wonder was this a one-off encounter that I experienced in actuality or was it my only time having sleep paralysis. I have no idea. I guess the end purpose of this is to have some official record of this experience as well as if someone else experienced this specific type of entity or had a similar experience, some kind of corroboration not only of mine but their experience as well. So if there's anyone else out there who had an experience like this, definitely comment or let me know.

Quick Facts:

Species/Potential Species: unknown

Location: Sunbury, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania

Sighted: Late Summer 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment